Saturday, July 30, 2005

An Ode To Wine

Another morning, another hangover, EastEnd induced this time...
I had never been an alcohol-drinker before coming to London, preferring the bitter taste of a Virgin Mary. But I have finally been broken in, and have slowly raised my non-existent alcohol-tolerance to featherweight status. From using the word "tipsy" too long, I now admit to "being drunk." It took me a while to accept it, though, having always imagined 'drunk' to be a vomitif state of utter embarrassment. But, no, for some months now, experimenting with alcoholized behavioral patterns has become a little past-time of mine.
My eyes become drunk more than anything else. I find it hard to keep them open, and prefer the obscurity of dancing in blindness. It's always a little trip, where I find myself being led in a tango or a dizzy twirl by strange male hands on the dancefloor. I feel vulnerable, yet empowered. And, oh my God, it's true that inhibitions get washed away with white wine! Not that I resort to vulgar flashing, but I do feel that I am contained in an expansion of me that floats in a mass of stroboscopic neons and blurred silhouettes. Individuals are washed away and bodies become accessible playthings: a little smile there, a little touch here, and millions of little words exchanged in the haze. People become enjoyable, and a smile can drown anything...
I reached my limit yesterday of a whopping three medium-sized glasses of wine. I think I will platform at that for the moment. I did need a healthy serving of fries with garlic sauce and a samosa at 1am to cool myself down, and I am not ready for a wine belly just yet.

3 comments:

Tempest said...

Everything seems clearer with alcohol in your blood stream, don't you think?

Firas said...

3ayran with lots of salt is the best hangover remedy for me, plus it's low on calories. I drink it before I go to bed.

Seriously though, plus it helps that I already love that shit. I make it from plain yogurt (no 3ayran in U.S.A.) and make a pitcher of it diluted with water and lots of salt and put it in the fridge before going out. When I come back I drink a couple of cups, pop a pre-emptive tylenol and I'm set.

Rasha said...

Actually, that 3ayran thing could be a good idea... Not that I get those terrible hangovers my friends all suffer from (I still am relatively spared from the torture of migraine and nausea - but don't know how long that's gonna last!), but I'll pass on the tip.

And I don't know how clearer my mind gets when I'm loaded with alcohol, but I do suddenly feel that things are just so much simpler, and that people are suddenly so.... cool! Soberness can't deal with corny chat-up lines!