Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Another Crappy Job Interview

I went on a job interview today. Some derma clinic I shall not name, magical producers of anti-ageing high-tech creams and lotions, preventive massages, health screenings that would probably make a healthy twenty-something reach for the Valium, non-invasive treatments, i.e. Botox (if that's non-invasive, then what is?!) and all of that "Love Thyself" armada of beautification... need a graphic designer. Oh, how I felt sorry for myself, while they tried to convince me that they would rather I worked on a PC instead of a MAC, coz theirs had a 19" flat screen and wireless mouse, which is sooooo mega-cool!
In a way, it's money. It's experience. It's gratifying in the sense that it would be all my OWN work, since I would be the sole designer... But I am actually scared of being offered the job!
Am I really ready for one interminable freelance-type project with 2 additional lines on my CV, and a picture of well-lit anti-ageing products in my portfolio to show for? Accepting this job would mean I'd have to reject all opportunities of freelancing for highly creative magazines, or placements in challenging studios, where there's no money but such opportunity to grow...
Where's all the glitz and melting-pot creativity of London?! Did I come all this way to sell the merits of wrinkle creams and the cryogenic properties of bum-hydrating milk? I feel like that blog Tighten Up I mentioned earlier...
Why didn't anyone tell us it would be so hard? That sterile pseudo-dermatologists would love us, but the interesting people would use our talent for FREE? Is "wanker" posted on my forehead?! Or am I just another one of those graphic designer people who think they're just a misunderstood God's gift to the world?

OK, maybe I'm rambling too soon... I don't even know if I got the crappy job. Hopefully I won't, because I could just shrug at a "missed opportunity" instead of having to tangle myself into anymore of this existential dilemma bullshit...

"I'll let you know these two days," doctor said.

No comments: